Opera Browser has always had a position in the Top 5 browsers in the browser wars (a game which has died down significantly in recent times) but has never held the top spot overall globally. That position has been held by Internet Explorer and more recently Chrome. Even worse for the little engine that could was the fact that over the past year or more, they have had to change their core rendering engine in favor of Chromium/Blink in order to keep up with Chrome, and in the process lost a large chunk of their market share. They plummeted from a global 2.2% position all the way down to approximately 1.01% according to figures from http://gs.statcounter.com.
Opera however have tried and fought back with their redeveloped browser and are gradually regaining much of the lost market share and currently hold a 1.39% of that pie. The browser is pretty decent but it has very tough competition against all the other existing players and without a current version for Linux, they can only hope to gain users on Windows and Mac. Also, current users cannot help but keep lambasting the development team for lack of requested features such as bookmark functionality similar to what was in the previous Opera 12.x versions. The team have promised to deliver however and here’s to hoping they do so rather than later, since they will be releasing the 23rd version of the browser in coming months without that functionality included.
We will keep our fingers crossed and hope the little engine that could, will keep chugging along until it regains its 2% global market share again.
I’ve not been a long time player of the game but I noted that for a long time in the past, the web version of the popular Facebook game by Zynga had been broken in Opera. Not sure who made the fix, but as at Opera 12.50 pre-alpha the game works .
The long standing issue seemed to be a bug in the way Drag and Drop was being handled by the game. When tiles were moved from the rack, they disappeared from under the mouse, and could not be placed on the board.
I decided to implement an HTML5 Form validation for one project I was working on recently, and came across several interesting quirks with the implementation across Opera 11.11, Chrome 12 Beta and Firefox 4.0.1.
First off, the basic thing I realized needed to do was check if validation worked at all, so I created my form, slapped on a few “required” attributes on some fields and fired of the form submission. Here is the basic form below along with the HTML and CSS references so we know what we are working with Continue reading “HTML5 Form Validation Quirks: Opera, Chrome And Firefox”→
Yet again Yahoo! goes live with new a Beta Version of its awesome web based email system, sporting some interesting colour changes, menu improvements and organization. But once again, they have dealt a heavy blow to the Opera Browser by distinctively excluding it from its list of supported browsers.
It may be true that currently Opera holds the least market share in the browser wars but I do not feel that is a justification for Yahoo! to consider leaving out the browser. In the previous iteration of its email client, the same approach was taken and the ever hard working team of Opera devs found a nice way to by pass the problem and allow their browser users to continue their daily work unabated by the tactics of the Yahoo! corporation.
I wonder what issue the Yahoo! devs have with the browser that make them consistently ignore it. Is it JS? Opera has one of the best JS engines in the running. Is it HTML5? I don’t think that is the problem. Perhaps it might be the rendering engine not providing the same font-sizes and pixel counts as other browsers; but that should hardly ever be an issue.
I would be glad if a Yahoo! dev or someone who knows enough about the workings of the Yahoo! Mail development would comment on this issue and probably make me and hopefully the Opera browser developers know point blank the issues they have had with their browser. Or perhaps they should just openly state they don’t provide support for it due to it minimal market share (but then that would be open discrimination, not based on technical reasons 🙂 ).
Aside that, I think release has finally piqued my interest in JavaFX and I am planning an uptake when Netbeans 6.9 is released.
I just had to post this. After I posted about two weeks ago while using Opera 10.5 pre-alpha about how Opera failed to use the Java Plugin and hence could not display JavaFX applets, I finally got JavaFX to run in Opera. Awesome. See below for images of Opera 10.5 with and without the hack.
Change your User Agent to identify the browser as Internet Explorer or Mozilla by going to “O Menu (top-left)” – > Page Tools -> Developer -> User Agent -> Internet Explorer
Go to www.javafx.com, and you should get JavaFX to load in Opera smoothly (ok mine hanged a bit before it loaded the applet, but hey this is a beta so such things can be expected, but on refresh it loads in a Flash)
So now, all we need to do is wait for Oracle/Sun JavaFX engineers to update their browser detection code, so we do not have to use this hack.
The following article has been updated to be more concise with respect to the way JavaFX is implemented in the various browsers. Opera does not support the Java Plugin in general.